Thursday 15 August 2013

A final live report for Yuu!

Hi all, before you all start, the title is not me saying I am going home and is actually not my final live report, score for misleading journalism!  No the title is that this is the final event I can attend of Kikka's so from this point on my blogs will about my other antics!

Anyway the previous day to this I was really really really tired, constantly felt on jelly legs when walking and everything.  Initially I just wanted to stick around and do something like the Tokyo Skytree...  But I was simply too knackered, worried at first I had heat stroke or come down with something, so I just stuck my head in some books and took the day off, advantage of a month abroad, if a day feels like shite, you can write it off!

So to yesterday, well the night was Kikka's mini-live event in Shinjuku, but I wanted stuff to do in the day before it.  Fortunately, I saw on my twitter that Nino was knocking about and wanted to go scouting for a potential laptop as well as visit Akiba backstage pass so I thought, fuck it, not done that, let's roll!

So hot morning around 11:15 we meet in Akiba station and head to the huge Yodobashi shopping...  err...  Stadium!  Seriously, if you weren't aware it was a shopping store you'd at first glance think it was a stadium of some sort, they are freaky places which have tonnes of stuff for sale.  Nino and I checked out the laptops and cost was very high, as you'd expect in Japan, but specs weren't the great, mostly mid-rate, on that barrel full of disappointment we headed into Akihabara itself.

I decided I wanted to scout out the Hello Project shop again just in case there was something in there that took my fancy.  (Note: - My rather exclusive Fukumura Mizuki A4 photo is still not in!)  Inside I noticed something I hadn't seen in the H!P store very often, lots of young people!  This was cool and evidently shows the new direction of the groups is generating cross generation interest.  Though I am still not too hot on some of the younger additions (more on that later).

Still I did spy an awesome item I had to pick up featuring the aforementioned Fukumura Mizuki


Yup a lovely clearfile with photocard, what made Nino and I laugh is the blatant copyright rip-off from chupa chups, then again, Kikka-sama got away with ripping off star wars so they have previous when it comes to this sort of thing!

After this we checked a couple more computer stores which somehow had the same machines as Yodobashi but at half the price, score one for rip-off consumerism within one mile of itself.  Thing you'll notice about Akiba is the fierce competition for electronics sales.  If you are in Japan and need a new camera, shop around here is my advice as you may score a bargain!

Once done we were both feeling a little hungry and decided to hit Akihabara backstage pass, for those of you who do not know, this is Tsunku's own maidcafe.  I have never done maid cafes before but have never really been that interested as they mostly seemed about blessing your lunch and being drowned by sickeningly sweet antics.  However, Dean mentioned should at least give it a go and having someone who has been before as a guide was enough of a reason.

When we got up there it was quite amusing as the maid on door duty had to call three times for someone to take our custom haha, I think they were all terrified of these foreigners not being able to understand them, despite the door maids repeated instruction that japanese was ok.  (well...  sort of!)

Anyway eventually we got ourselves sat down and ordered some food, which was decent, usually, from what I have heard, the food is crap but the experience great.  Here it fused both which was nice.  First thing I had to do was sign this form for a members card with my 'producer's name'  (mine in other words!) which was fun.  After food arrived we suddenly got accosted by 海岬まりな who is one of the maids that Nino is a big fan of


Show beats tell usually so there you are!  She was actually very funny, she understood my Japanese and kept asking stuff like how old I was and where I was from, both of which surprised her.  Not entirely sure why me being English is such a surprise, I guess I really am from the grim northern steppes and totally out of my universe or something!

She also made us laugh because Nino and her are fans of the Japanese artist YUI, and she has a song titled 'Please stay with me'  So まりな, bless her, asks two foreigners what it means and how to translate it.  we both broke down laughing with the same wavelength thought...  "err...  is that appropriate for an idol to ask?"  I think she realised and immediately shouted 'dame!'  (Japanese for don't!)  Which just tickled us even further.

After this the stage suddenly became active and five members of the cast came on stage to perform one of their songs.  At this all maid activity stopped and instead I was treated to something I have never seen before.  The maid group on stage sang live, but all the maids suddenly danced the PV dance where they were.  This included behind the car, at tableside, entry to the cafe...  It was...  Awesome, but not something I was anticipating.  Also as a bit of fan service, if you look at one of the off-stage maids while they do this, they come over and pretty much do a one on one dance for you.  Can see now why many are attracted by these places!

I do think we got her in trouble though as she wanted to stay talking to us forever but management kept calling her away from the table, oops!  Anyway next to us two Japanese wota turned up and began talking with us, trying to get Nino to say to a maid that the word for beautiful in Japanese was actually something far worse.  Nino played along at first, before bailing out when she came over.  Maid was called もえのあずき


Japanese wota continued to hound Nino for more fail Japanese but he was just like 'dame!' which got them giggling profusely.  もえ however stuck around talking to us for some time, especially when she mentioned jackie chan and it turned out she was a fan!  I sat there talking about Rush hour, Who Am I?, dragons forever and others which was unexpectedly awesome.  Jackie chan really is the man and if he ever goes to japan I know one maid who'd fangirl massively that's for sure!  Just as we were readying to leave the Japanese wota gave us a parting gift.



Yup, copies of their singles, which was awesome!  Especially as one on the left is actually sealed, shows these guys are regulars!  We settled our bill after this and left, overall, a good experience had.  Certainly fun if you know some Japanese so can interact fully with both the maids and the other customers.  Not too expensive if you are careful, my bill was around 2400 yen for just under an hour.  However, Nino did point out one option on the bill was Dom Perigion at a whopping 40000 yen!  Firstly, champagne is horrible, secondly, especially at that price!

We settled for a swift drink in a bar near the station, though Nino began having issues with his stomach at this point so went for coke while I grabbed a shot of whiskey on the rocks, hey, I can live the high life now and again!  After this went our separate ways and I returned to my room to park my stuff and just chill for a while.

At home I got some news about Morning Musume having a semi-best of album with new arrangements and so forth.  Now, something I have never hidden, is that I do not understand the adoration for Sayashi Riho.  Yes, she can dance well, but she can't sing and just strikes me as dull.  Whenever I have seen comments about her I always get this overwhelming feeling of people being suckered by hype...  Which I broadcast on the forum Jplop...

Oh boy did this start a war!  Naturally people were defending, which is absolutely fine.  But it proceeded to degenerate when I simply said you have your opinion and I have mine, let's agree to disagree.  An attempt to move the discussion on, water under the bridge, etc...  Some people just don't know when to quit and begin talking about previous dismissals from other forums and such.  I am all for flaming my opinion, that's fine, but when you start to go 'neeer you're not welcome on this place and no surprise' it just makes you look an asshole!


Anyway I wasn't about to let this ruin my evening, with about two hours left before Kikka sama I decided to return to Akiba for some arcade gaming and some grub.  After throwing 300 yen into outrun again (seriously I am addicted to that game!)  I went for a swift matsuya, but while on the way there I saw this outthere and amazing thing.


That's just...  Wow!  Something so out of leftfield from where I am from to be absolutely awesome!  It'd be interesting to see the response if that ever took round the city of Manchester, even here there were nationals taking photos in bewilderment, and that is saying something for a town where maids stand on the street offering you flyers for their cafes lol

So train ride to Shinjuku and I happen to spy some promotion for Momusu at Shin-okubo station, two large posters for the single.  I have to say one thing, ever since these new generations have appeared, the company have finally put the effort in for promoting their singles.  Just a pity that my fave era didn't get the same sort of treatment but ah well!

Finally made it to Tower records and around 9pm bought  a copy of Kikka's album which got me access to the live and the following handshake.  What was interesting here is that the tower records in Shinjuku has a small stage in the middle of the 7th floor and like in Shibuya Tsutaya we had to queue up the stairs between floors depending on the number for your ticket.  As I was a late arrival my number was 123, but not a massive issue considering I had around 6 inches in height on most of the audience so good view regardless!

But it was still a strange experience to be about to watch a concert on the 7th floor of a shopping centre in the middle of a records shop!  Not that it stopped us doing what we usually do at concerts, yup, the glowsticks came out, the chants and more.  Makes you wonder how the staff put up with that sort of thing, then again, welcome break from the monotony maybe?

Kikka rushed on stage and opened with Time to zone which was an unexpected surprise.  Whilst it is from her best of, I wasn't prepared for it.  Worked brilliantly as an opener though being that sort of semi-acoustic dance number at slightly higher than average pace.  Got the crowd clapping and cheering loudly which is always awesome.

Following this she did a brief MC introducing herself and talking about how her next song was one produced by Kimaguren, thus I already knew that 八月の花火  was coming next, before that though, she sang a line from ''cafe ole no uta' before asking us to sing it back to her, which was pretty cool!  It was funny to hear the offset between Kikka's beautifully refined vocals and the crowds harsh rebuttal, it certainly made Kikka chuckle.  As the next song began the crowd continued where we'd left off at Idol Nation in uncharted territory with a song where no real existing wota chanting was in play.

Still we pulled through and got most of the unfamiliar to join in, whilst Kikka continued to display why she is my favourite idol with the great ability to swing between vocal styles with ease whilst having the presence to interact with as much of the crowd as possible.

After this mic went on to the stand as she launched into the ballad 世界中に君は一人だけ I was surprised as this song as it was such a change in pace, but she just absolutely nailed it everytime, really high notes and different keys without as much as hicup.  Following this the pace picked up again with こんな私でよかったら which was as flawless as idol nation before she ended with Sweetie.  The final song was funny as we at the back sort of trolled the crowd because it seemed we changed the rhythm of the chants which threw people off.  I am not sure if Kikka clocked it herself, but she at points stopped singing and pointing at the crowd, so we missed a line before singing for her and she kept giggling.  I reckon it was more coincidence but if not then she truly is amazing!

After the live it was time for the handshake and I spoke with a few of the wota beforehand as once again, in true Japanese fashion, it was pretty rapid.  Kikka2525 was saying how he much preferred the American style we enjoyed in Atlanta where you had much more time.  Still, any time is better than no time, so having queued around I reached her and decided to play safe and simply said that she was the best in the world.  She responded by going 'wow, I love you, Kikkawa Yuu' This made me XD but I just responded with 'I love you too' and she replied with thanks in English while the crowd cheered, nice crowning moment to a very good day and evening overall was that.

Final thing I did was come home, say night to my girlfriend and family before hitting the sack and getting sleep.  Now today...  Err...  Nothing planned!  I have the cool hello concerts tomorrow and sunday so probably going to get some supplies in ahead of those and generally laze about.  Isn't a holiday about relaxing and enjoying yourself?  Exactly!  And I aim to do just that!  Until next time, *sets sail*

No comments:

Post a Comment